PA members organize action teams focused on specific issues that affect our Durham community. The focus of these teams vary depending on the current prominence of issues and on volunteer leadership. We encourage members to lead organizing efforts directed at new issues.
Non-PA members are welcome to attend and participate in our action teams.
Here are descriptions of our action teams and their meeting dates/locations. If you are interested in getting involved, please reach out to the listed contact!
Child and Family Team: Advocates for policies and spending that center the needs of families. There is not problem in Durham that can't be fixed. How do we wrap resources and services around a family in crisis? How do we keep families OUT of a system that is not serving them.
- Current Priorities: Supporting families in trauma, setting a course of advocacy, political engagement, documenting stories
- Meetings: Monthly, TBD
- Contact: This is a new team. Contact PA at [email protected] to learn more and find out about the upcoming meeting
Education: Works to support a unified public education system for all families in Durham. We believe in local control of tax dollars so that families and elected officials can make decisions about Durham’s educational system. The Education Team encourages collaboration and creative approaches to education. Teachers, families, and students should be participants in the decisions made about our schools.
Current Priorities: Two focus areas are school safety and exceptional children family and teacher support
- Meetings: 3rd Tuesday of the month, 8:00 - 9:30pm
- Contact: Vanessa ([email protected])
Eviction Crisis Campaign: In collaboration with the Coalition for Affordable Housing & Transit, Legal Aide and Neighborhood Improvement Services this team works on efforts so residents of all incomes can afford to live in Durham. Our vision is access to affordable housing for all.
- Current Priorities: stop evictions; advocate new homes for low-income renters and home buyers; expand tax assistance to help lower-income homeowners stay in their homes;
- Meetings: As needed
- Contacts: Lorisa Seibel ([email protected])
Green New Deal for Durham: Join PA members in collaboration with the Sunrise Movement and the League of Conservation Voters to imagine a path forward for a Green New Deal for Durham and the campaign to win more climate justice for Durham.
- Current Priorities: Crafting the GNDD resolution, identifying allies, advocating to elected officials
- Meetings: Monthly at the Main Library Look at the PA Calendar (https://www.durhampa.org/calendar) for the upcoming meeting.