The People’s Alliance is Durham’s home of progressive community action and comprises three legally separate organizational entities: The People’s Alliance - a 501c(4); The People’s Alliance Fund - a 501c(3); and the People’s Alliance PAC - a political action committee.
We are seeking a dynamic and detail-oriented individual to serve in the critical role of Operations Director. This position requires 30-40 hours of work per week and will work in partnership with the Program Director and the Board of Directors to plan and execute a range of People’s Alliance Initiatives. The ideal candidate will possess excellent administrative and organizational skills, proven communication abilities and also have a passion for and commitment to social justice and progressive political action. Duties of the Operations Director will include:
Administration, Operations, Finance (12-15 hours per week): manage a range of organizational and membership development activities including:
- Coordination of fundraising, membership renewals and new member recruiting;
- Maintaining the member database (in Nationbuilder platform) and effectively using it to target communications and identify members’ areas of interest;
- Supporting logistics for a range of member and community events
- Managing financial integrity including general bookkeeping, banking deposits, tracking and reporting budget progress, maintaining staff taxes and payroll, and paying bills;
- Tracking state and federal requirements and ensuring compliance with filing and reporting requirements;
- Lead annual budget processes;
- Manage incoming correspondence and direct as appropriate to Program Director, Board members or Action Teams;
- Maintain office equipment in working order, filing and other organization systems.
Communications and Marketing (10-12 hours per week): communicate effectively with members and the public by:
- Maintaining the PA websites, which are based on the Nationbuilder platform, and working with Board members to provide content.
- n collaboration with Board officers and Program Director, produce bi-weekly email Activist Alerts;
- Producing quarterly hardcopy and e-newsletters and other materials to keep members informed of and engaged in PA activities;
- With Board and Program Director support, help to maintain a consistent and effective presence on PA’s social media sites, such as Facebook and Twitter;
- Ensuring an effective flow of information between members, the community and the Board, including timely answers to phone calls and emails.
Support Boards, Action Teams, and Volunteer Engagement (8-10 hours): help organize PA’s members and Durham’s broader community on priority progressive issues by:
- Providing meeting logistic support (reserving meeting locations, copy materials);
- Providing support during elections
- Communicating to the general public via press release and calls to media, if appropriate;
- Building and maintaining relationships with community partners and allies;
- Serve as initial point of contact for members, orient new members to the organization and help connect members who have mutual areas of interest; and help ensure effective use of volunteer resources;
- Training, motivating and coordinating volunteers to act in support of PA priorities.
In your cover letter or resume please describe:
Experience in the performing the duties listed above, including relevant experience working across a 501c(4), 501c(3) and Political Action Committee organizational structure.
Experience in computer skills: Publisher; spreadsheets, Quickbooks, word processing, and databases. Nationbuilder experience a plus.
Experience in social media and organizing.
People’s Alliance is looking for a multi-year commitment. Salary and benefit information is available upon request, and commensurate with experience. The PA mission statement and other information about the organization are available at www.durhampa.org. Please send a resume including references, a writing sample and a cover letter that includes a discussion of the issue about which you are most passionate. Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Send to [email protected]
Application deadline: June 30, 2015
People’s Alliance offers a flexible work environment and collaboration with passionate, committed volunteers. People’s Alliance is equal opportunity employer.