Outreach and Engagement Coordinator
The People’s Alliance is Durham’s home of progressive community action and comprises three legally separate organizational entities: The People’s Alliance - a 501c(4); The People’s Alliance Fund - a 501c(3); and the People’s Alliance PAC - a political action committee. This position will be housed in the People’s Alliance 501c(4), but will provide discrete support to the other entities.
This Outreach and Engagement Coordinator position requires 40 hours of work per week, including some evenings and weekends, to plan and execute a range of People’s Alliance Initiatives. The ideal candidate will possess excellent administrative and organizational skills, proven communication abilities and also have a passion for social justice and progressive political action.
Community Engagement: help organize PA’s members and Durham’s broader community on priority progressive issues by:
- Attending Board meetings; communicate frequently with Board members between meetings and provide support to Board members as needed (i.e. Treasurer);
- Engaging with Action Teams and attend meetings when possible; provide logistical support to the Action Teams;
- Connecting Action Teams, board members, and/or other volunteers who are working on similar issues/projects to ensure greater impact and efficiency;
- Providing targeted support to the PAC during elections by ensuring timely mailings of PA endorsements, updating PAC website and helping organize volunteers as requested;
- Building and maintaining relationships with community partners and allies;
- Providing media interviews, serve as PA spokesperson, when possible;
- Training, motivating, and coordinating volunteers to act in support of PA priorities.
Membership Engagement: serve as the main liaison between members and organization by:
- Serving as initial point of contact for members, orienting new members to the organization, connecting members who have mutual areas of interest; and helping ensure effective use of volunteer resources;
- Managing incoming correspondence and directing as appropriate to Board members or Action Teams;
- Ensuring effective flow of information between members, the community and the Board, including timely answers to phone calls and emails.
- Maintaining websites, which are based on the Nationbuilder platform, and working with volunteer(s) on content;
- Producing regular email Activist Alerts;
- Partnering with volunteer(s) to maintain a consistent and effective presence on PA’s social media sites, such as Facebook and Twitter;
- Coordinating membership renewals and new member recruiting;
- Overseeing member database (in Nationbuilder platform) and effectively using it to target communications and identify members’ areas of interest;
- Supporting logistics for a range of member and community events.
- Relevant experience related to the duties listed above
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to work independently
- Basic word processing, database, spreadsheet skills
- Commitment to PA’s mission, vision, and values
- Demonstrated success in building partnerships, trusted relationships
- Reliable source of transportation
- Identifies as a leader
Would Be Nice
- Experience working across a 501c(4), 501c(3) and Political Action Committee organizational structure
- Experience using social media as an organizing tool
- Volunteer management
- History leading/creating trainings
- Comfort with public speaking
- Finance/budgetary experience
- Past nonprofit work as a paid staff and/or volunteer
- Participated in racial equity training
People’s Alliance is looking for a multi-year commitment. The salary range is from $40,000 - $45,000. Additional benefits offered include reimbursement for medical insurance, paid vacation, paid sick leave, and reimbursement for necessary technologies.
The PA mission statement and other information about the organization are available at www.durhampa.org. Please send a resume including a writing sample and a cover letter that includes a discussion of the issue about which you are most passionate. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Send resume, writing sample, and cover letter to the PA Hiring Committee at [email protected].
Application deadline: June 30, 2019