The People’s Alliance is Durham’s home for progressive community action and comprises three separate organizational entities: The People’s Alliance — a 501c(4); The People’s Alliance Fund — a 501c(3); and the People’s Alliance PAC — a political action committee. This position will work exclusively for the People’s Alliance 501c(4).
People’s Alliance has long championed progressive issue advocacy in Durham. This year, facing such a critical election, we are extending our issue-based work into the electoral arena. Our goal is to mobilize low-propensity voters by connecting critical issues worked on daily by PA members — such as housing, education, environmental justice, and more — to electoral participation. In partnership with the Carolina Federation, we will turn out voters through a relational organizing program that brings PA members into phone banking and other virtual get-out-the-vote (GOTV) tactics.
This full-time Electoral Organizer will manage the relational organizing program, recruiting from our membership base of over 1,200 Durham residents and their networks to boost progressive voter turnout in Durham. Depending on capacity, this position may also implement a communications strategy to complement our relational program. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working with both people and databases and have a passion for social justice and progressive political action.
Work schedule: 40 hours/week, including some nights and weekends
Duration: start date ASAP; contract will be for 3 months from start date with possibility of becoming a permanent position
Compensation: $18/hour, equivalent to annual salary of $37,440
Location: Durham, NC, but can be performed remotely
Reports to: PA Outreach & Engagement Coordinator
- Recruit an initial team of People’s Alliance members to start the relational organizing program through virtual phone calls and one-on-one’s
- Train volunteers to participate in our relational program and activate their networks to help with GOTV
- Track volunteer contacts with their relationships and follow-up as needed
- Coordinate with the Carolina Federation to schedule phone banks
- Integrate the relational program with PA’s member database (NationBuilder) to track members’ engagement
- Design and implement digital (social media and/or email) content to boost our GOTV efforts
Accordingly, the following metrics will guide our work and evaluation of the program after the election.
- 50 PA members recruit at least one person to attend a PA phone bank with them.
- 25 PA members recruit at least five people to attend a PA phone bank with them.
- 20 GOTV volunteers become new members of PA action teams or other PA projects after the election.
- PA members contribute at least 10,000 calls/texts to voters in support of the Carolina Federation’s goal.
- 30 GOTV volunteers join or renew their membership with PA.
- 20 voters join or renew their membership with PA after receiving a GOTV call.
- The PA is looking for someone who is a quick study and who is confident in learning on the go, particularly with the election around the corner.
- The candidate must be a fairly autonomous worker with a strong team spirit and commitment to coordinating with the PA’s one other full-time employee and with volunteers.
- The candidate must be highly organized and attentive to detail as this skill will be critical for running an impactful relational program and providing consistent follow-up with volunteers.
- Patience, people skills, emotional intelligence, and clear communication are required to accomplish successful and fluid meetings, training volunteers virtually, aligning efforts with other PA leaders, and more.
- The candidate must be comfortable managing databases to track volunteer and member engagement.
- Experience creating social media and email content for volunteer recruitment and broader issue awareness is desired.
- Familiarity with NationBuilder and/or the Empower app is also a plus.
To apply, email a resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is selected and interviews will take place on a rolling basis.