Help local dogs in distress with your gallon jugs and 2-liter bottles!

Animal Control (560-0630) collects clean containers to use for giving water and food to dogs who have nothing when they come to investigate or check up again on animals that have been reported.

Ideal are the water jugs b/c there will definitely be no smell, but cleaned-out milk jugs are good, too. They also use 2-liter juice bottles--the ones that have the black bottoms are the best, because they are more stable.

Also it would be great to help out by cutting them down to 5 inches high so that there is no handle (for gallon); 6 inches high (for juice).

We now have a neighborhood drop-off point (see below); but if you call them, they will pick up from your house. (In this case, please put the bottles in bags and mark them: For Animal Control pickup.)

You can also leave them outside the Animal Shelter (2117 E. Club Blvd.) if Animal Control is not open.

DROP OFF The Lakewood United Methodist Church (corner of Huron St. and Chapel Hill Road) has kindly allowed us to be a drop-off point.

From the Huron St. side there is an entryway (greenish door). The brown 30-gal. container for the jugs is on the right side of the door. Please put your jugs in plastic bags (no marking necessary).

NOTE ROAD CONSTRUCTION THERE: UNTIL AUG. 24, which prevents accessing the church from CH Road. At the moment, you can access Huron from either Wa Wa Ave. or Ward Street.

On Huron at the intersection of Wa Wa and Huron, you'll see "street closed" barriers. Just go in between them and you can get nearly to the church, which is on the right-hand side.


Some advice on cutting the bottles: I find that if I hold the handle and use a large serrated knife pointing slightly downward, I can cut most of the way through. Then I take scissors and do the rest, and go around the edge to make it smooth so it won't hurt the dog. Leaves about 5 inches of container. Takes less than a minute. Then you can easily wash it.

Please pass the word around.


Help on Development Issues

Every month numerous tracts of land are rezoned, usually to allow for denser residential development. If it's happening in your neighborhood you may not know where to turn. There's an easy-to-read and informative website you should check

How to pay for new development is a very contentious issue. Taxpayers subsidize new development by paying up to 80% of the costs of infrastructure (roads and utilities). For more information check out this website in Wake

In particular read the tab on "Hot Topics."

The Durham Community Environmental Coalition

We are committed to working together toward a healthy environment that supports a sustainable, high quality of life in Durham. The Durham Community Environmental Coalition brings together citizens, organizations and agencies to identify and address priority issues. We affirm the roles and value of existing organizations and seek ways to enhance our impact in mutually supportive ways.

Hey Environmentalist, Subscribe to the Durham Community Environmental Coalition Yahoo Group!

Click here to join durhamenviro

Click to join durhamenviro


get updates