Note: The Accountability Team is currently seeking new leadership. Email email@example.com if you are interested in helping to build deeper accountability between PA, our values, and our elected officials.
Housing: The Housing Action Team works with the Coalition for Affordable Housing & Transit, so residents of all incomes can afford to live near transit in Durham. Our vision is access to affordable housing and transit for all.
- Current Priorities: stop evictions; ban the box on rental applications so that returning residents can access housing; advocate new homes for low-income renters and home buyers; expand tax assistance to help lower-income homeowners stay in their homes; improve bus transit and ParaTransit ACCESS.
- Meetings: 3rd Monday of the month, 6:00 - 7:00pm. Join us as well at the Coalition for Affordable Housing and Transit, 3rd Monday of the month, 12:00 - 1:00pm
- Contacts: Lorisa Seibel (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Environmental and Climate Justice: Advocates for environmental and climate policies that ensure clean air, safe drinking water, renewable and democratic energy, reliable transportation, accessible green spaces, nourishing food, and a stable climate for everyone in our community. Our work centers folks disproportionately impacted by environmental racism and hit “first and worst” by the climate crisis.
- Current Priorities: Building the Action Team membership and partner relationships; doing outreach to build a plan for a Green New Durham addressing environmental and climate justice considerations in affordable housing, transportation, public schools, and more. Tell us your vision for a Green New Durham here!
- Meetings: 2nd Tuesday of the month, 7:00 - 8:30pm
- Contact(s): Carina Barnett-Loro (email@example.com), Margaux Escutin
Economic Justice: Advocates for policies that ensure that all Durham residents have access to high-quality jobs that pay a living wage with benefits and the opportunity to acquire and make use of productive assets. In addition, we advocate for progressive tax policies that ensure businesses and residents pay their fair share to support adequate public services.
- 2020 Priorities: workforce development (esp. through Durham Tech); tax policy; entrepreneurship/economic development; green jobs
- Meetings: 3rd Tuesday of the month, 7:00 - 8:30pm
- Contact: Carl Rist (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Education: Works to support a unified public education system for all families in Durham. We believe in local control of tax dollars so that families and elected officials can make decisions about Durham’s educational system. The Education Team encourages collaboration and creative approaches to education. Teachers, families, and students should be participants in the decisions made about our schools.
- 2020 Priorities: Guidance for re-entry to Durham Public School (DPS) during the COVID-19 pandemic; working with the Durham community, the DPS Board of Education, and Durham County Commission on school resource officers to address funding, services, accountability, and alternatives
- Meetings: 3rd Thursday of the month, 7:00 - 8:30pm
- Contact: Millicent Rogers (email@example.com), Vanessa Barnett-Loro
Racial Equity: Works to dismantle systemic racism — a system of societal and institutional beliefs and policies that upholds white supremacy and oppresses people of color — throughout our community.
- 2020 Priorities: building collaboration with partner organizations in order to: end the school-to-prison pipeline; follow up on criminal justice reform recommendations made in 2018 to hold officials accountable
- Meetings: 2nd Wednesday of the month, 7:00 - 9:00pm
- Contacts: We are looking for new leadership of this team -- email firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved.